Effective Date: September 29, 2021
1. Some key terms
- Some key terms
- Personal information we collect
- How we collect personal information
- How we use your personal information
- How we share your personal information
- Your rights and choices
- How we protect your personal information
- How we retain your personal information
- End Users’ personal information
The users, visitors, and customers of our Users’ events are “End Users”. For example, End Users may refer to individuals that have their photo and contact info collected by a photographer (User).
“NowCandid services” refers to all of the functionalities and services of NowCandid and Candid Color Systems including but not limited to: event creation, tablet and app usage, online registration, online retail, facial recognition, image hosting, account management, and more.
3. Personal information we collect
We collect various personal information regarding you or your device. This includes the following:
4. How we collect personal information
- Information you provide to create a NowCandid account, specifically email address, first name, and last name. To receive payments from NowCandid, banking information must be provided during account creation. If you wish to use QuicPics or similar programs or features, we also receive your payment information.
- The emails and other communications that you send us or otherwise contribute, such as customer support inquiries.
- Certain biometric information regarding photo content for photos voluntarily uploaded to NowCandid (for facial recognition within an event).
- Information you share with us in connection with surveys, contests, or promotions.
- Information from your use of NowCandid services or Users’ sites. This includes IP addresses, preferences, web pages you visited prior to coming to our or our Users’ sites, information about your browser, network, or device (such as browser type and version, operating system, internet service provider, preference settings, unique device IDs and language and other regional settings), information about how you interact with NowCandid services and our Users’ events (such as timestamps, clicks, scrolling, browsing times, searches, transactions, referral pages, load times, and problems you may encounter, such as loading errors).
- Other information you submit to us directly.
We obtain personal information from various sources. We do this in three main ways:
- You provide some of it directly (such as by creating a NowCandid account).
- We record some of it automatically when you use NowCandid services or Users’ events (such as entering contact info via a tablet or a registration webpage).
- We receive some of it from third parties (like via an app store).
We’ve described this in more detail below.
a. Personal information you provide
When you use NowCandid services, we collect information from you in a number of ways. For instance, we ask you to provide your name and email address to register and manage your NowCandid account. We also maintain your marketing preferences and the emails and other communications that you send us or otherwise contribute, such as customer support inquiries. You might also provide us with information in other ways, including by responding to surveys, engaging with a Users NowCandid event as an End User, submitting a form, or participating in contests or similar promotions.
Sometimes we require you to provide us with information for contractual or legal reasons. We’ll normally let you know when information is required, and the consequences of failing to provide it. If you do not provide personal information when requested, you may not be able to use NowCandid services if that information is necessary to provide you with the service or if we are legally required to collect it.
b. Personal information obtained from your use of NowCandid services
When you use NowCandid services, we collect information about your activity on and interaction with the services, such as your IP address(es), your device and browser type, the web page you visited before coming to our sites, what pages on our sites you visit and for how long and identifiers associated with your devices. If you’ve given us permission through your device settings, we may collect your location information via our apps.
If you are an End User of our Users’ events, we also get information about your interactions with their events, though we use this in anonymous, aggregated, or pseudonymized form which does not focus on you individually. We use this data to evaluate, provide, protect or improve NowCandid services (including by developing new products and services).
Some of this information is collected automatically using cookies and similar technologies when you use NowCandid services and our Users’ events. Some of this information is similarly collected automatically through your browser or from your device.
c. Personal information obtained from other sources
If you use a Third Party Service (such as using Stripe to receive payments) when using NowCandid services, the Third Party Service may provide us with your information on your behalf, such as your name and email address (we don’t collect or store passwords you use to access Third Party Services). Your privacy settings on the Third Party Service normally control what they share with us. Make sure you are comfortable with what they share by reviewing their privacy policies and, if necessary, modifying your privacy settings directly on the Third Party Service.
5. How we use your personal information
We use the personal information we obtain about you for the following purposes:
Provision of NowCandid services. Create and manage your NowCandid account, process payments and respond to your inquiries.
- Execution of NowCandid services. Using biometric information to match photos of an End User within a single NowCandid event.
- Communicating with you. Communicate with you, including by sending you emails about your transactions and NowCandid service-related announcements.
- Surveys and contests. Administer surveys, contests, and other promotions.
- Promotion. Promote NowCandid services and send you tailored marketing communications about products, services, offers, programs, and promotions of NowCandid and measure the success of those campaigns. For example, we may send different marketing communications to you based on your photography market or what we think may interest you based on other information we hold about you.
- Improving NowCandid services. Analyze and learn about how NowCandid services are accessed and used, evaluate and improve NowCandid’s services (including by developing new products and services and managing our communications) and monitor and measure the effectiveness of our advertising. We usually do this based on anonymous, pseudonymized or aggregated information which does not focus on you individually. For example, if we learn that most Users of NowCandid services use a particular program or feature, we might wish to expand on that program or feature.
- Security. Ensure the security and integrity of NowCandid services.
- Protection. Protect our and others’ interests, rights, and property (e.g., to protect our Users or End Users from abuse).
- Complying with law. Comply with applicable legal requirements, such as tax and other government regulations and industry standards, contracts, and law enforcement requests.
We process your personal information for the above purposes when:
6. How we share your personal information
- Consent. You have consented to the use of your personal information in a particular way. When you consent, you can change your mind at any time.
- Performance of a contract. We need your personal information to provide you with services and products requested by you, or to respond to your inquiries. In other words, so we can perform our contract with you or take steps at your request before entering into one. For example, we need your email address so you can sign in to your NowCandid account.
- Legal obligation. We have a legal obligation to use your personal information, such as to comply with applicable tax and other government regulations or to comply with a court order or binding law enforcement request.
- Legitimate interests. We have a legitimate interest in using your personal information. In particular, we have a legitimate interest in the following cases:
- To operate the NowCandid business and provide you with tailored communications to develop and promote our business.
- To analyze and improve the safety and security of NowCandid services - we do this as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests in ensuring NowCandid is secure, such as by implementing and enhancing security measures and protections and protecting against fraud, spam, and abuse.
- To provide and improve NowCandid services, including any personalized services - we do this as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests of providing an innovative offering to our Users on a sustained basis.
- To comply with a court order or binding law enforcement request.
- To anonymize and subsequently use anonymized information.
- Protecting you and others. To protect your vital interests or those of others.
- Others’ legitimate interests. Where necessary for the purposes of a third party’s legitimate interests, such as our Users who have a legitimate interest in having their events function properly and securely and analyzing the usage of their events so they can understand trends and improve their services.
We share personal information in the following ways:
7. Your rights and choices
- Users. We share with our Users the contact information submitted by End Users of their events. For example, we provide a User with all contact information submitted via the selfie registration tool, including the selfie.
- Process payments. We transmit your personal information via an encrypted connection to our payment processor.
- Following the law or protecting rights and interests. We disclose your personal information if we determine that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with the law, protect our or others’ rights, property or interests (such as enforcing our Terms of Service) or prevent fraud or abuse of Squarespace or our Users or End Users. In particular, we may disclose your personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, such as to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- Business transfers. If we're involved in a reorganization, merger, acquisition, or sale of some or all of our assets, your personal information may be transferred as part of that deal or the negotiation of contemplated deals.
Where applicable law requires (and subject to any relevant exceptions under law), you may have the right to access, update, change or delete personal information.
You can access, update, change or delete personal information (or that of your End Users) either directly in your Account or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the required changes. You can exercise your other rights (including deleting your Account) by contacting us via the same email address. Please note that we may need to verify your identity in connection with your requests, and such a verification process may, if you do not have access to your Account, require you to provide us with additional information (e.g., government identification). Even if you have access to your Account, we may request additional information if we believe it’s necessary to verify your identity. If we are unable to verify your identity or request, we may not, in accordance with applicable law, be able to fulfill your request.
Please note that, for technical reasons, there may be a delay in deleting your personal information from our systems when you ask us to delete it. We also will retain personal information in order to comply with the law, protect our and others’ rights, resolve disputes or enforce our legal terms or policies, to the extent permitted under applicable law.
You may have the right to restrict or object to the processing of your personal information or to exercise a right to data portability under applicable law. You also may have the right to lodge a complaint with a competent supervisory authority, subject to applicable law.
8. How we protect your personal information
While no service is completely secure, we have staff dedicated to keeping personal information safe. We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards that are intended to appropriately protect against accidental or unlawful destruction, accidental loss, unauthorized alteration, unauthorized disclosure or access, misuse, and any other unlawful form of processing, of the personal information in our possession. We employ security measures such as using firewalls to protect against intruders, building redundancies throughout our network (so that if one server goes down, another can cover for it), and testing for and protecting against network vulnerabilities.
9. How we retain your personal information
The precise periods for which we keep your personal information vary depending on the nature of the information and why we need it. Factors we consider in determining these periods include the minimum required retention period prescribed by law or recommended as best practice, the period during which a claim can be made with respect to an agreement or other matter, whether the personal information has been aggregated, or pseudonymized, and other relevant criteria. For example, the period we keep your email address is connected to how long your Account is active, while the period for which we keep a support message is based on how long has passed since the last submission in the thread.
As Users may have a seasonal business or come back to us after an Account becomes inactive, we don’t immediately delete your personal information when your account becomes inactive. Instead, we keep your personal information for a reasonable period of time, so it will be there for you if you come back.
Please note that in the course of providing NowCandid services, we collect and maintain aggregated, anonymized or de-personalized information which we may retain indefinitely.
10. End Users’ personal information
Our Users who have created an event using NowCandid are responsible for what they do with the personal information they collect, directly or through NowCandid, about their End Users. This Section 10 is directed to such Users.
If you’re one of our Users, you will collect personal information about your End Users. For example, using selfie registration you will ask your End Users to provide their name, email address, and cell phone number so that you can send them their image gallery.
You're solely responsible for complying with any laws and regulations that apply to your collection and use of your End Users’ information, including personal information you collect about them from us or using NowCandid functionality.
You must publish your own privacy policies and comply with them. We’re not liable for your relationship with your End Users or how you collect and use personal information about them (even if you collect it from us or using NowCandid functionality) and we won’t provide you with any legal advice regarding such matters.